A Brief Trip To Wedgeheads

A couple of months ago, before I was buried in what seems like endless days of snow, my friend Kelly and I made a run to the Hollywood district in Portland to visit an antique store. I had recently caught a local news story profiling a new pinball bar called Wedgeheads in the same area. In fact, it was only located a few blocks from the antique store. I talked Kelly into popping in to have a look around and see what it was like. Although parking next to the bar is a challenge, there's actually a good size parking lot on the left of the image below that belongs to the Banfield Motel (also known as the Banfield Value Inn). Wedgehead visitors can park in this lot for free.


The Entrance
The entrance is very unassuming, but there's no mistaking that your at the right place. Immediately entering Wedgehead's cozy space, you are in the eating area featuring a few tables and booths and facing the bar. To the right is the arcade area. No video games here, just pinball. We showed up in the early afternoon on a Saturday. Only a couple of other players were on machines. I introduced myself and Kelly to Chris Rhodes, the owner of Wedgehead. Chris owns well over a hundred games in his personal collection, and all the machines in Wedgehead are from his collection. He has been an operator in Portland for over a decade and an avid tournament player/organizer for at least two decades. Kelly and I had a great conversation with Chris, he was very knowledgeable and friendly. We described our own Barncade that is being built and showed him some photos of the progress. Needless to say, Chris was pretty excited about and wanted an invite when it is complete!


Chris currently has some great games on site. Tron, Iron Maiden, Lord of the Rings, Funhouse, and Mystic caught my eye, begging to be played, but there simply wasn't time. I wanted to play Whirlwind as it has been quite some time since I got a game in on one, but unfortunately Chris was working on it and had to put it down for a more involved repair. I did manage to get a game on a Chicago Gaming remake of Attack From Mars (Special Edition), because I will play that game anytime, anywhere since it in my top 2 favorites. But the highlight was a CGC remake of Monster Bash. Kelly and I both drooled over this one...it fits our monster theme perfectly and looks absolutely gorgeous. I played 2 games and then we had to go.


Chris (left) and Alan
Although I didn't sample any of the foods this time, it's definitely on my radar for the next visit. The kitchen is run by Alan Robertson. He’s a 16-year industry professional, and his approach is to deliver inspired bar food, all scratch made in house. His previous stints in Portland included Clyde Common and as the chef of Bunk Sandwiches. A quick glance at the menu reveals lots of burgers, salads, appetizers, and arepas! I'm definitely going to have to try the arepas.


We thanked Chris for his time and headed on our way. But I promised Chris that I'd be back. Perhaps when the snow and ice are finally gone...


Comments