Update 5-25-2018 This Week In Pinball and Other News

NW Pinball and Arcade Show
I'm planning on attending my first ever show! I'm not sure how many days I'll be there, possibly just one, but it should be fun.

White Water rebuild
The White Water restoration is finally full steam ahead! I had been bummed out about the planking that materialized on the main playfield, but after the purchase of a Mirco replacement and ordering most of the other parts I need, I have a long vacation coming up and I'm focused on getting the machine running again. After that I'll turn my attention to Creature, which has many, many problems.

Steampunk Virtual Pinball Time Machine
I will also be focused during my vacation on getting my Virtual Pinball machine fully operational. Some of the steampunk features can be added later, I just want to get this thing flippable.

This Week in Pinball
This Week In Pinball has become one of my favorite new websites to visit. I check it constantly for any scraps of news or new content. The site has hit some real home runs lately, especially an in depth look at Heighway Pinball that was riveting. Also the rumors about which machines might make it into production are exciting to follow.

This leads in to my next bit of news: we will be adding at least one and maybe two more brand new machines to the Barncade. One for sure will be the new Elvira pin that Stern currently has in development. Both Kelly and I agree that picking up that one is a no-brainer. There's a little more uncertainty about the second machine. It is rumored that Stern could be developing The Munsters as soon as late this year. If so, the game is an automatic add to the Barncade as Kelly is a HUGE Munsters fan. Although I am not quite as big of a fan, I think it would be a great game and have no problem adding it. However, I told Kelly that if he gets to add a dream game, I should be allowed to add one and he thinks that fair. The only issue could be space, as 3 machines would bring the total to 14, not counting the simulator. Well, money is an issue too, but I'll set aside that concern for another day and commence with dreaming.

So what would my dream game possibility be out of all the new games or those rumored to be in development or design? Let's take a look at what's out there:

Stern
Guardians of the Galaxy: I'll admit I like the theme, but I wasn't impressed by game play videos that have shown up on Youtube. I'll get in a few games in the near future and form a better opinion, but right now this is leaning towards a No.

Iron Maiden: Love the theme and artwork with its Egyptian inspiration, and I like some of their music. But like AC-DC, Kelly is totally opposed to heavy metal pinball themes. Hey, I get that. This is a No.

Deadpool (rumored): based on the comic book and not the movies? Definite No.

Jersey Jack
Wizard of Oz: A strong possibility. The game looks beautiful and the code has become amazing. This is a Maybe.

Dialed In: These things are selling like hotcakes and it seems like the game is in arcades everywhere. I'd like to play one before I make up my mind. Final Answer: Need More Data.

Pirates of the Caribbean: Sorry JJP, but I've got the Stern model already and I like it. I don't like the recent chest and spinner changes JJP made to their design, either. I sure don't want two of them. So, a definite No.

Toy Story & Willy Wonka (rumored): both could be great games - Willy Wonka (the Gene Wilder version) seems like a great fit for Pat Lawlor. But neither theme really appeals to me on a dream game level, so definite double No.

Guns N' Roses: Really?! That band does not deserve a second machine. This would be a big mistake for JJP, and for me is a definite No. Even though I'm not going to buy a heavy metal themed pinball, Rush, Ozzy, Def Leppard, Blue Oyster Cult, Judas Priest, Van Halen, Dokken, or Heart would all be better choices. Or better yet, my dream music pinball theme: Pink Floyd (Welcome to the Machine!)

Chicago Gaming/Planetary Pinball
Medieval Madness Remake - Definite No.

Attack From Mars Remake - Man I love this game, but I'm looking for something I haven't played a bazillion times already. Most likely a No.

Monster Bash Remake, Cactus Canyon Remake, Theater of Magic Remake, Big Bang Bar Remake (all rumored) - I won't lie, I'd be very interested in Big Bang Bar, the rest not so much. But I wouldn't want to wait around for Big Bang Bar to maybe get made someday. So this a most likely a No to all.

Others
Rob Zombie - I liked this game, but I'm concerned about quality. Most likely a No.

Total Nuclear Annihilation - I know nothing about this game...Need More Data.

Alice Cooper - Definite No.

Houdini: I'm intrigued by the magic theme, but the game has been described as very challenging. I'll take a good look at it at the NW Pinball & Arcade Show. For now, let's say Maybe.

The Pinball Circus: This would be my top choice out of everything listed here, but production has shifted to Kingpin, and with only 12 Pinball Circus machines initially planned, holding out hope for one of these seems like a pipe dream. Still, I'm not going to exclude it completely so let's put it in the Maybe category.

Kingpin Remake: I would need more data on this one but it most likely would be a No.


Coming Soon: documenting the White Water rebuild...

Comments