A Visit To Next Level Pinball

Note: it took me almost 2 months to write this post, edit photos, etc. I'm not sure if I'll go into this much detail on each game on locations in the future, due to the amount of time and work involved...


I recently had the opportunity to plan a trip to Hillsboro, Oregon (10-15 minutes west of downtown Portland) to visit Next Level Pinball. Next Level is part museum,  part arcade, and part distributor. I had actually visited them once before to pick up my Munsters, which they had ordered for me, but at the time I was under a time constraint and didn't have time to stay and check the place out. This time I vowed to stay as long as possible.

A photo of one bank of machines taken on my previous visit.

Per their website:

"Next Level, coming 2019, will be the largest pinball and retro gaming arcade in the pacific northwest. We have 240+ pinball and arcade games all set on free play. Admission is $15.00 per person.

We are a kid friendly fun for the whole family establishment.

Here are some things to look forward to:

Not only is this an arcade experience, we will have many of our personal collections from vintage to modern day collectables on display for viewing and enjoyment ! Such as…. Marvel, DC, Disney, Star Wars, Clint Eastwood, Street Fighter, Ninja Turtles, Simpsons, Terminator, TV Trays, He-Man, Ghostbusters,  Chuck Norris, one of the worlds largest Lunchbox collections in the world… and much more!!!!

Party/conference room for rent.

Vending, soda machines and snacks available."


I decided to visit Next Level Pinball on a Saturday. Next Level is open Friday through Sunday, but on Fridays and Saturdays they are open from noon to midnight. Friday traffic through Portland (and crossing bridges from Washington into Oregon) can be a pain, and even weekends are bad, so getting up early and making the 1 hour drive on Saturday seemed like a good move. Unfortunately circumstances forced me into leaving later than I wanted, and a freeway accident tied me up for an extra 30 minutes longer than expected. However, I finally reach Next Level at about 12:30 pm. I paid the entry fee of $15, which got me a wristband that was good for all day, and all pinball and arcade machines were set on free play.


The first thing I noticed when I entered was an Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle (ACNC) next to the door. It was not powered up, and when I asked the staff about it, they said that they had just recently gotten it, and that multiball wasn't working. Later in the day I noticed the owner had the playfield lifted, and before the day was over, ACNC was functional and I got to play it for the first time, forming an impression of the game I recently posted about and placed an order for...but I'll come back to that later.

The machines are organized in long banks. One bank had older Stern titles, another had Data East and Sega, one had early solid state machines, and another had Bally/Williams titles. Newer Stern machines, Chicago Gaming remakes, and Jersey Jack games were just inside the entrance near Alice Cooper. There were 2 mini-banks, one featuring recent Sterns and one featuring American Pinball games. A few other machines straggled here and there among the video games, of which there are also a few long banks. Many of the newer pinball machines are Limited Editions or Collectors Editions. I did not see any games from Gottlieb, Zaccaria, or boutique manufacturers (except for Spooky and American Pinball). As I've done in the past, I'll touch briefly on my impressions from each game played, with games I've played before in green and games I played for the first time in red.


Star Wars (Stern) - This was a great way to start off the night. I only played one game but it was really fun. Remembering a little bit of Joe Lemire tipping this game on the Head2Head Pinball Podcast, I chose Leia as my character. After that I couldn't remember a damn thing and just flailed away. I got into video mode twice, Hyperspace multiball, Rescue the Princess, Escape the Death Star and Cloud City Escape. My score wasn't anything to brag about, but I did get to enter my initials as Leia Champion. According to someone on Pinside, that means I got the highest score out of anyone who chose Leia as their champion on this machine.


Ghostbusters - I played 4 games on Ghostbusters. It's such a beautiful game! I'd love to own one someday, although the flipper gap and the linear game play aren't great, but I love everything else. I really enjoyed this one, and that was even before the code update finally dropped. I can only imagine how much better the game is now.


Game of Thrones - I played one game and just couldn't get into it, even though I really wanted to. It was one of those nights where I was drawn to other games, especially ones I hadn't played before. But the more games I play on GoT, the less I like it despite the awesome theme.


X-Men - the one game I played on X-Men was not great, but I did think it was pretty fun. However I was still more focused on other games that I hadn't played before or played very little.


Star Trek (Stern) - same as X-Men.


Mustang - Mustang is a nice machine and I put a couple of games on it. I'm a big fan of car racing games on consoles (Need for Speed, Burnout, Forza etc.) and Mustang feels like blend of pinball with those themes, due to the rules having elements of racing, drifting, police pursuit, customizing your car etc. There are a fair amount of shots, as well as several targets including stand ups behind drops, and it seems like there are LEDs everywhere in the playfield (I later found out there are over 100 LEDs!). My family has always been into Fords and my dad owns a '67 Mustang, while my friend Alan in Vegas (who I have mentioned in the blog previously) owns 5 newer Mustangs, so I do have an interest in the theme, although I think the Fast and Furious franchise might have been a better choice. A cool game that I can cross off my bucket list of games to be played.


Willy Wonka - I'm not sure what to think about Willy Wonka. It's not as visually appealing as Wizard of Oz or Pirates of the Caribbean, and though I liked the book and the movie, it wouldn't be on my top list of themes I'd like to see made into a pinball machine. I thought it was okay but I wasn't as impressed by it as I was by some other machines.


Pirates of the Caribbean (JJP) - This is certainly a beautiful game. It shares a lot in common with the Stern version...chest with beating heart? Check. Spinning disc? Check. Ghost ship? Check. There are some other things that set it apart such as the cannon and the rules. Looking back I wish I had put more games on it, but I really need to read up on the rules because I don't know what to shoot for when I play it and that can effect the experience.


Attack From Mars Remake - I had to put at least 1 game on this, just like every other time I've seen it on location. It did nothing to dispel my love affair with it, and I still think it's the best game ever made and I'd love to have one in the Barncade.


Black Knight Sword of Rage - I played one game, but it was over so quickly that I got angry and put 3 more games on it. I really like it and think it is cool, I think some people are judging this too harshly. I wouldn't ever own one because the heavy metal music is obnoxious and would drive me crazy, but I thought it was a fun game.


24 - I played 1 game on 24 and realized that although it has some cool elements, like taking down snipers, it just feels too cheap and clunky to me. It also looks terrible. As I've said before, pinball is fun, but some are more fun than others, and while I enjoyed flipping this, it has a theme that does nothing for me and a less than stellar look and build quality, so I moved on to other machines.

Metallica - the 1 game I played was over pretty quick, and since I've played it plenty of times in the past, I wanted to try some other machines. I forgot to snap a photo.


Robocop - My first time playing Robocop was okay. The build quality seems fine, but there wasn't much to shoot for and the repetitive "dead or alive you are coming with me" began to grate on me. The art is pretty basic and there are really only 4 shots plus some stand up targets, and like Bram Stoker's Dracula the targets straight ahead can result in a drain SDTM. I did like the ramp jump feature, but ultimately it falls a bit short due to simplicity.


Secret Service - I had never played this before and actually liked it a lot. Although it doesn't at first seem like a great theme, I really liked the secret agent themed music, but there's plenty to shoot for on the playfield and others have commented that it is a High Speed ripoff. Apparently there's some neat hidden features but unfortunately I didn't get far enough into the game to check them out.


Star Wars (Data East) - I have played this game plenty of times in the past. Back in the early 2000s I came close to pulling the trigger on a purchase on more than one occasion. I love the R2D2 toy in the back, but having now played the Stern version a few times, it is vastly superior to this Data East machine.


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - I'm not sure this is as bad as everyone makes it out to be, but it isn't great, either. I can see how the callouts grate on people's nerves. I'm not a TMNT fan and wouldn't ever own a game with that theme, but it doesn't bother me and I don't mind giving this a flip on location. April sports some serious cleavage on that backglass...


Apollo 13 - Last time I played one of these at the Pinball Hall of Fame in Las Vegas I was disappointed. This time I vowed to get the 13 ball multiball. The first game wasn't great, but later in the night I circled back around, and in my second game I did get the multiball. What an insane but memorable pinball moment! I didn't get a high score (just shy of a billion) but I did enter my initials for 13 ball multiball (#32, whatever that means). So I had a fun time on this one.


Sharkey's Shootout - I've made it pretty clear in the past that I don't like pool themes on pinball machines...Sharkey's Shootout, like other games you will see in my write-up, doesn't have many shots and seems pretty sparse. The callouts are terrible. This was made during the darkest time in pinball when Stern was hanging on by thread, and it shows. The white back box is ugly, and the sexual innuendos in the art are kind of ridiculous. It sounds like the rules might be pretty good, but unfortunately I just don't care enough to find out.


Golden Cue - See Sharkey's Shootout, they are almost the exact same game with a few minor differences. This was made by Sega prior to the transition to Stern and became Sharkey's Shootout. It is pretty rare since it never entered production.


Baywatch - This game seems to have a cult following and a lot of people like it. There are ramps everywhere, a lot to shoot for and babes galore...what's not to like? I actually think the theme holds this one back from being the best Sega, and although I didn't have a great game, I see the potential.


Twister - I actually liked Twister. Spinners, ramps, pops, a few toys...it's not bad. I got to multiball and ended up with over 600 million. But the callouts are terrible and the theme is questionable. Otherwise I enjoyed it.


Independence Day - I had a blast with Independence Day! There are ramps everywhere, and enjoyed the alien pod that opens up, but the other toys really don't do much. Multiball was really fun. I ended up with over 700 million. I think that although the game has some flaws, in my opinion this is one of the best Sega machines made.


Oktoberfest - This is a great game! The ramps are fantastic, I like the different modes and the ducks were a "quack up". I played about 4-5 games and though I didn't get a great score, it was a lot of fun. It feels very solid and well-built, and the left targets are well-placed. One problem I felt that the game had was that many of the shots are near the back of the machine and are very difficult to hit, especially during timed modes. In a way, this reminds me of Houdini. While I probably wouldn't own one due to theme, I think it was fun and I'd not hesitate to play it again in the future.


Houdini - The more I play this game, the more I love it. The theme is fantastic, as is the art style and the overall look of the machine. The padlock bumpers are so cool, as is the shot to the trunk that flies in the air to the trunk in the back. The shots are incredibly tight, which makes the game extremely frustrating during modes where you have get the ball to a specific spot. In my opinion that is the only thing holding the game back. I played 4-5 games on it and despite the tough shots I'd love to have one someday.


CSI - CSI was one of the highlights of the night. Famed designer Pat Lawlor's last game before leaving Stern, the machine has some really cool features. The centrifuge is neat - similar to the Tortuga spinning wheel in Pirates of the Caribbean - but the multiball lock is by far the best feature in the game, and one of the best ball locks ever made. The skull in the back of the playfield has a ramp over the top of it. When locking a ball, the skull and ramp raises up, and the ball locks into the eye socket. The skull then drops back down and repeats the process for the next ball locked. I couldn't get enough of it. The theme and art are not the best, but the game play was so much fun! I came away with a new appreciation for Pat Lawlor's effort here...I still think Ripley's Believe It Or Not is his best Stern game, but this one is great too. I put 4-5 games on it and each time was a blast.


World Poker Tour - I've mentioned before that I'm not crazy about pool-themed pinball machines, and that goes for card themes as well. But I actually had fun on this machine in playing it for the first time. I started getting the hang of the upper playfield and had a fun game. I'm surprisingly impressed.


Gilligan's Island - I rarely meet a pinball game I don't like, but this is one of them. Maybe it's because I hate the theme, maybe it's because I find it incredibly boring. Either way, I think I've played my last game on this machine.


Scared Stiff - I had to put at least one game in on Scared Stiff, but did not do well. Fortunately I can play this at home anytime I want.


Congo - Each game on Congo has me loving it more and more. I put up a score of over 665 million and had a great time with the lower playfield, the multiballs and more. I'm kicking myself at passing on one years ago for around $1500.


High Speed - I've played many games of High Speed over the years and I think it's really fun. I don't think I'd own one, simply because there are so many other games I like more. However, it more than holds its own against 90s DMD games. I'm not a devoted fan of Steve Ritchie's games (I do like them) but this is one really appeals to me.


Radical - This game has some really wild ramps and I liked it, though perhaps not as much as No Fear. The 4 flippers are awesome, and the layout is great, but the art and callouts are cringe-worthy. At least now I can cross it off of my bucket list.


Mousin' Around - Lots of people seem to love this game. I'm not one of them. I liked it, but I didn't love it. I do think the concept that the balls are mice and the ball locks are mouse traps is ingenious, but I don't like big structures in the middle of the playfield that you have to shoot for that results in STDM drains. I also think the art and theme are not the best. It's not bad, it's just not what I would consider great. I'll play it again in an arcade but can't see myself owning one.


Black Rose - I always play a game of Black Rose when I find one, and it's usually fun, although I really struggled on this one and bricked a lot of shots. It's a pretty game, but I still like my Stern Pirates of the Caribbean a lot better.


Diner - No matter how much I play this game, the repetitive callouts and music drive me crazy. Other than that it's fun game but not one I'd but a lot of thought into reviewing.


Party Animal - This was my first time playing a Party Animal and I loved it! The jukebox was awesome, the callouts and sounds are hilarious, it's got a couple of Nordman ramps and I always appreciate stacked drop targets that you have to pound your way through to the next one. Multiball was pretty fun, too. The art is pretty terrible, although the main character does remind me of the Coors Beer Wolf. Although I wouldn't own this, it's still really fun and cements my love of Dennis Nordman games even more.


Fire! - I was really looking forward to playing this because I was turned away by the one at the Northwest Pinball Show a couple of years ago that wasn't working, and it looks very unique. I'd like to say I'm intuitive enough to figure out what was going on from the moment I stepped up to it, but that would be a lie. My first game didn't go so well. But I played it again. This time I could understand things a little better. I loved the hidden loop shot, and the ramps are designed in a way that avoids drains when they come back down, which I appreciated. I played a third game, and then a fourth. By this time I was hooked, there was something addictive about the game play and the symmetry, I loved the theme, the bell, the "burning" playfield - I took an extra photo to capture the effect - and the lit buildings. But I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to lock enough balls to start multiball before my game was over. It wasn't until I said "to hell with it, I'm going to play a 4 player game" that I really appreciated Fire!, because in 4 player game you can steal other players' locks! And once I figured out that, got the alternating shots down, got the center ladder raised up and hopped a ball up it to a jackpot, that was when I realized how great this game is. I was surprised to later learn that this was a Barry Ousler game, as I'm a huge fan of his work. I think it's one of his best, and probably my new favorite system 11 game. My best score was 1.95 million, good enough to rank #39 on Pinside out of the 58 scores posted, but I think with more plays I could kick that higher. Yeah I know, it doesn't really count because I was stealing ball locks from myself. Still, I absolutely loved this game and could imagine the buildings replaced with modern, detailed sculpts.


Nitro Ground Shaker - This almost feels like an EM, and it definitely feels dated to 1980 thanks to the art. When considering early solid state games this pales in comparison to games like Seawitch or Flash Gordon. I found it pretty boring and moved on.


Silverball Mania - I've played this plenty of times in the past. Not one of my favorites and I haven't changed my mind after playing this one. See Nitro Ground Shaker above.


The Shadow - My game was over just as quickly as it usually is. It kicks my ass just like my Bram Stoker's Dracula does; however, where BSD destroys me through unfair and cheap drains, The Shadow simply shows me that my reflexes just aren't fast enough and my accuracy isn't good enough. The Shadow is the better game, but BSD has the better theme.


Bride of Pinbot - I've put in plenty of games on this machine; considering there were over 8,000 made, I used to see it everywhere. It certainly is a beautiful game, but not one I really enjoy playing. Most of the right side is wasted, which really narrows the playfield down to a few repetitive shots. And the overt sexual innuendo involved in putting a ball in the Bride's wide open mouth - just awful.

Creature from the Black Lagoon - I played a game on it just for fun and to remind me what mine will look like once my restoration is complete. Motivation! I took a bunch of close up photos but I didn't realize until later that there weren't any full shots of the machine.


Dirty Harry - I had fun with Dirty Harry. Not one I'd own as the theme doesn't really grab me (for a Clint Eastwood pin theme I would rather had Every Which Way But Loose) but it's great to get a game on it now and then.


Judge Dredd - I haven't really enjoyed this game in the past and that continued here. I don't know what it is exactly about this game that I struggle with, because it looks amazing, I just can never get going on it.


Iron Maiden - I first flipped this game at the 2018 Northwest Pinball Show and loved it. The lovefest continues here, as on the second game I ever played on it I got 135 million, which would rank 82nd out of 100 on Pinside's scores...not great but I'll take it. I feel like with a few more games under my belt and an understanding of the rules I could do better. It's just a great game!


Tales from the Crypt - I did not have a great game but I still like it. It would go great with the monster-themed section of my game room, but I want Monster Bash, Attack From Mars and Elvira's House of Horrors a lot more. Given the cost of those games, though, this would be a great budget addition.


Star Wars (Sega) - I've always felt that this game is bit boring - such a missed opportunity - and a play on it here didn't change my opinion.


Shrek - I've never played Family Guy, but I've played Shrek plenty of times. It was fun and I got up to the mini playfield twice.


South Park - I wasn't expecting much here as I am not a South Park fan, but the toilet humor had me falling over in laughter. There's not much to shoot for and I bet the humor would get old after awhile, but this has to be the most hilarious pin I've ever played. And hilarity = fun, all things considered.


Batman 66 (Catwoman) - I didn't have a great game, but it was still awesome. I love the Catwoman backglass, Julie Newmar is so sexy! Thanks to Christopher Franchi for this gorgeous work of art. I'm glad I got the chance to see it.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I left Next Level to go grab something to eat. There was a Baja Fresh a 5 minute drive away, so I drove over and grabbed a burrito, wolfed it down, and then headed back to play more pinball. When I re-entered Next Level by showing my wristband, I immediately noticed that Alice Cooper was up and running! However, there were some people playing it so I went over to Deadpool for a game or two.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Deadpool - Deadpool is such a blast! From the artwork to the humor, the ramps to the team ups and boss battles, in my opinion Deadpool is the best superhero pin ever made (sorry Batman '66!). Maybe some day I'll find a way to get one of these into my personal collection, but for now location play will have to scratch the Deadpool itch. What an awesome game...


Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle - I got really nervous as I stepped up to this machine. Having ordered one based only on Youtube video, feedback of others, and theme, would I even like it? Did I make a mistake? Happily the answer to the first question is a resounding yes and to the second question, no mistake here! I love this game, from the comic book art and video style to the sound package, it is stunning to look at and listen to...and I say that as someone who likes a few Alice Cooper songs but is admittedly not a huge fan. The comparisons to Houdini are somewhat accurate - at first. Where I continued to struggle to hit shots in Houdini despite more plays, on ACNC after a few games I felt the shots were more achievable, you simply have to calibrate your brain to physics and angles that are different from anything else out there. What I liked best about ACNC was that missing shots wasn't punishing...in Bram Stoker's Dracula you miss a shot and you are either dead or in a life-and-death struggle to regain ball control. In ACNC, a missed shot often meant reloading and trying again. The game was a blast, the rules are well thought out, the shots and mechanics don't feel clunky, and the entire package is so cohesive. I played 4 games on it, and then played another 4 later, and I absolutely loved it. I'm extremely happy that this game will be joining the collection soon.


Aerosmith - I didn't think much about this game when I played it previously - it was pretty to look at but otherwise unremarkable. Something clicked and I had more fun this time around and liked it a lot better. I'll have to put more games on it in the future.


Space Jam - I had only played Space Jam once before and forgot how cool the playfield looks. But the game play is a bit dull, and I couldn't care less about sports themes. I'm not a Sega hater - I like some of the other Sega's I played at Next Level and I love my Mary Shelley's Frankenstein - I just think this pin is a bit uninspired and geared towards kids.


Lord of the Rings - I love this game! But I've played it many times in the past so I only put one terrible game on it before moving on to try some other machines.


Total Nuclear Annihilation - I got in about 4 games on TNA , and while it's still not my thing, I have a greater appreciation for it and understand the appeal. I'm sure it's much more fun in competitive or co-op modes. It's a beautiful game and the sound is killer, but I continue to find it very difficult. I'd like to learn the rules and put more time on it in the future.


America's Most Haunted - I never would have thought that along with CSI, Spooky Pinball's America's Most Haunted would be one of the highlights of the night! The shots on this machine felt great, with orbits, 2 ramps (the left one a "staircase" and the right one to a "library". Then there's a lock shot behind the ghost in the middle of the playfield and a VUK on the right side. I kept coming back to AMH and must have played 6-8 games on it. Although it seems simple, it was still so much fun! The theme, art and sounds aren't great, and I can imagine that with a Scooby Doo re-theme, this would be amazing!


Jurassic Park (Data East) - I played one game on it and moved on. It's hard to believe this was once on my wishlist, but there's so many other cool games I'd like to have instead, especially with Stern's new Jurassic Park now released.


Guns N' Roses - The more I play this game, the less I like it.


Indiana Jones (Stern) - I used to be infatuated with game and wanted to own one, largely because of theme (my favorite) and the ark multiball, and because it's a lot cheaper than the Williams version. Now, however, like the Data East Jurassic Park, there's just too many games released recently that are so much better.


Wheel of Fortune - I'll always give this one a try when I see one, for both the novelty and because it's a Nordman design, but the theme is so terrible! I do think it's fun though.


Avatar - See Guns N' Roses.


Hurricane - My first time playing a Hurricane! At first I enjoyed it, especially the way the main ramp swings down over the flippers, back across the playfield, then drops the ball in the left inlane. However, the ferris wheels just slow the game down too much while you are waiting for the ball to exit, and there's really only 5 shots plus drop targets, so it seems a little shallow. Still, I was glad I finally got the chance to play one. My score of 26+ million is good enough to be #24 on Pinside.


Corvette - I've never played this before, but it feels like a cheap knock off of The Getaway.


The Flintstones - I played one game despite my intense dislike of the theme. Nope, still don't like it.


The Getaway - Like Hurricane, the lack of shots on this pin makes it seem a bit shallow, and I wouldn't own one, but it's fun to play on location.


Indiana Jones (Williams) - I've never been very good at this game. I love the theme but I just don't do well on it. Moving on...


Johnny Mnemonic - I have played this in the past and had short games that had me walking away thinking it was deserving of its B-Title status. This time something clicked and I had a great game! I had no idea what I was doing, so when I was dropping balls in the matrix locks with the glove I probably didn't utilize it properly, but that's okay because I was having a blast. I don't mind the theme, and it's got a cool industrial kind of look. I can't help but notice the "Crazy Bob" sign, it's probably from the movie but it's interesting that Junk Yard also features a "Crazy Bob". I got 909 million which isn't great based on Pinside scores, but is the best I've done to date. I'd like to play this more in the future.

Not working
The Simpsons Party Pinball
Batman Forever
Tron Legacy
Lethal Weapon 3

Games on my bucket list I was hoping to see but they didn't have
The Big Lebowski
Big Bang Bar
Alien
Pinball Magic
Lexy Lightspeed
Phantom of the Opera
Godzilla
Barb Wire
Hook
Lost in Space



Summary
Wow, what a blast! This was probably the best location pinball experience I've ever had. All the games were in great shape with no leveling issues or mechanical problems. After Johnny Mnemonic I played a few more games of some of my favorites of the night like CSI and Iron Maiden, but at that point my wrist (which I have broken in the past and isn't as strong as it used to be) was feeling a bit strained and it was getting tough to flip games. I could also feel fatigue set in as my reactions were getting slower. With a long drive ahead of me, I reluctantly called it quits at 8:30 pm, almost 8 straight hours and close to 100 games of practically non-stop pinball playing (only a 40 minute break to eat and pee). Let's summarize, shall we?

Cost: $15 entry for all day. Amazing!
Games played: about 95-100!

Positives
no standing in lines to play
no leveling or mechanical issues with machines
incredibly low cost per game played
awesome versions of machines (such as Catwoman and AFMLE)
open for 12 hours
can leave and come back throughout the day
some pretty rare machines

Negatives
no food on site except for snacks
not open during weekdays (except Friday)
no alcohol

I'll be back at Next Level in the future to pick up an Elvira House of Horrors (I hope)...

Comments

  1. You definitely need to come back to Next Level sometime. They have the ones that you have on your bucket list except for Lexy Lightspeed, Alien, Big Bang Bar & The Big Lebowski. They also expanded the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart! I've been fighting some health issues but I'll definitely get back there at some point, it's such a cool place.

      Delete

Post a Comment