Which 5 machines for $15K?

Jason and Matt over at the Slap Save Pinball Podcast posted an interesting scenario on Episode 56. Here is their scenario:

"You have 15K and have to start a new collection of 5 machines. What would you choose?"

I thought this would be fun to try to wrap my head around. You have to use the median price from the range listed on Pinside. The criteria I used was: one modern (monitor) game, 2 DMD era games, and 2 solid state games.



Option 1: Heroes and Strange Tales

1. Deadpool Pro  $5100
2. Ripley's  $3700
3. Tales from the Crypt  $3200
4. F-14  $1600
5. Firepower  $1200
total = $14,800

What I like about this option: Deadpool is really fun with great artwork. Ripley's is in because I play it a lot. TFTC gives me a horror fix, and F-14 and Firepower are 2 of my favorite solid state games that are very affordable.



Option 2: Dinosaurs and Dracula

1. Jurassic Pro  $5000
2. Ripley's  $3700
3. Bram Stoker's Dracula  $3500
4. F-14  $1600
5. Firepower  $1200
total = $15,000

What I like about this option: Jurassic Park is pretty amazing. I still get to keep Ripley's and BSD replaces TFTC. I think I actually like this one better than Option 1 and the total price is right on target.



Option 3: Spooky, Spy and Sci-Fi

1. Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle  $6500
2. Goldeneye  $3000
3. Stargate  $2600
4. Space Station  $1800
5. Firepower  $1200
total = $15000

What I like about this option: I get to own an Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle, which I have really fallen in love with. I lose Ripley's but gain Goldeneye, one of the best Sega machines, as well as the multiball heavy Stargate. Space Station (another solid state favorite of mine) and Firepower round out the collection. The addition of ACNC and its high price really drove down the remaining options. I could have replaced Goldeneye and Stargate with Johnny Mnemonic and T2 and come in under budget. I was really tempted!


What a fun exercise! Thanks to Jason and Matt for the idea...

Comments